In this article, we’re going to be talking about the best mouthguards for BJJ in 2020. Before we get into our list we want to answer a few common questions about mouth pieces and Jiu Jitsu.
Why do I need a mouthguard for BJJ?
In Jiu Jitsu, you sometimes take accidental knees, elbows and even headbutts that can injure your mouth and face.
Mouthguards are optional in Jiu Jitsu, but it’s sometimes better to play it safe and save yourself from an expensive dental bill.
How do I care for my mouthguard?
Remember to clean your mouthguard after every use.
This will prevent bacteria from forming on it and making it smell and taste gross.
Not regularly washing your mouthpiece may lead to having bad breath or may even cause infection.
What To Look For In A Good Mouthguard?
Before we get into the list of mouthguards. Here is what you need to look for in a good mouth piece.
Always look for a mouthguard that is made out of quality materials. You want one that’s durable, let’s you breathe easily while wearing it, and fits comfortably in your mouth.
- Comfort: Look for a mouthguard that is comfortable and won’t hinder your training. A mouth piece that doesn’t fit properly can hurt your gums and tear up the insides of your mouth. So make sure your BJJ gum shield fits comfortably.
- Durability: Try to look for a mouthguard that’s durable. A more durable mouthguard will hold up longer and will provide you better protection when training.
- Stability. The best mouthguards are the ones that stay locked to your teeth. A mouthguard that moves around doesn’t fully protect your teeth and gums. Make sure to follow the directions when fitting your mouth peice to ensure you set the best fit possible.
- Warranty: Not the most critical aspect, but a dental warranty is a great inclusion. A dental warranty tells the customer we trust in our product and will pay if it doesn’t work.
What about custom dental mouthguards for BJJ?
This is the best possible option you can get. Nothing is going to beat a custom mouthguard made by a dental profession.
They’re custom made to fit your teeth and made of the best material you can get. They’re comfortable, you can breath, and they won’t easily fall out of your mouth.
The only issue with custom mouth pieces, is the price. They can get quite expensive ranging from $100-$300 or more.
Not a problem if you have dental insurance that will cover gum shields but most insurances do not. Your next best bet is Impact Custom Professional Mouthguard, this is the closest you’re going to get to a custom fit, without going to the dentist.
OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard
If you want the next best thing to a custom dental mouthguard, then look no further than the OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard. The OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard is the official mouthguard of some of the world’s most known sports organizations. (The UFC, Pop Warner, USA Wrestling, England Hockey, and New Zealand Rugby.)
You can’t get much better than being the official mouthguard of the biggest combat sports organization in the world. It’s made of some of the best material available and used by professionals.
Here is a list of everything the OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard offers.
- Ultimate Protection: The OPRO Power-Fit has three layers of ultimate impact resistance. It also has a dual outer shell that absorbs high impact blows and spreads it over the entire mouthguard. Shielding your teeth and gums from injury, while lowering your risk of concussion.
- Custom Fit: The mouthguard has anatomical fins that break down during the fitting process that helps mold the guard to your teeth. A unique power cage is included with the OPRO Power-Fit to use for the fitting process. This makes sure the guard has an even fit, so you can talk and breathe during training and competition.
- Adult/Child Sizes: There are sizes available for both children and adults to use for rolling. Although this guard is not compatible for kids with braces.
- Suitable For Multiple Sports: This mouthguard is great for other sports outside of BJJ. You can use it for other combat sports or ball based sports, as well.
- Design Options: There are over 50 different designs for you to choose from.
- $20k Dental Warranty: Every OPRO Power-Fit Mouthguard comes with a $20k 18 month dental warranty. If for some reason your teeth or gums get damaged while wearing this mouthguard, OPRO will pay for it.
Shock Doctor Pro Mouthguard
For years Shock Doctor have made dependable and inexpensive mouthguards used by kids and adults for a variety of sports. Especially for BJJ and other combat sports.
The Shock Doctor Pro Mouthguard is a dependable, cheap, and durable guard with no frills or gimmicks. At the small price they’re asking, you could buy multiple and go years without having to buy another.
Here are the features that the Shock Doctor Pro Mouthguard offers.
- Multiple Sport Compatible: Aside from BJJ, you can use this mouthguard for other combat sports and normal sports also.
- Comfortable Fit: The boil and bite process provides a comfortable fit and the mouthguard can be reformed as needed.
- Adult/Kid Sizes: The age range of the mouthguard’s sizes are 10 below and 11+.
- Shock Absorption: The guard has a shock absorption front bumper to absorb impacts.
- Braces Compatible: This mouthguard works great if you’re a kid or adult with braces.
- Dental Warranty: In the unlikely hood that your teeth or mouth is damaged Shock Doctor provides a $10k dental warranty.
SISU Max NextGen Mouthguard
SISU made their Max NextGen Mouthguard specifically for combat sports making it a great mouthguard for BJJ.
This mouthguard looks rather small, being 30% thinner than conventional mouthguards, but offers the most protection of all SISU guards.
It’s compact, breathable, and made of some of the best material SISU uses to make their mouthguards.
Here is what the SISU Max NextGen Mouthguard offers.
- Slim Fit: The SISU Max NextGen is 2.4mm thick, but offers the most protection of all of the SISU mouthguards. It’s 30% smaller than most sport mouthguards, while claiming to have better protection.
- Easy To Breathe/Speak: The slim fit of the Max NextGen also makes it easy to breathe and speak while wearing the guard. It’s also hygienically better that you don’t have to frequently take it out of your mouth.
- Diffusix Technology: The way SISU made this guard will evenly distribute impact forces if you receive head contact.
- Wide Bite Pad: This mouthguard has a wider bite pad than other SISU guards. It will protect your teeth, feel more comfortable, and improves mold-ability during the fitting process.
- Adult/Child Sizes: Sizes are available for children and adults.
- Color Options: There are 8 different color options to choose from.
Sanabul Single Boil And Bite Mouthguard
If you don’t want to spend money on an expensive BJJ mouthguard and just want a cheap option, Sanbul boil and bite is it. There’s nothing really special about this mouthpiece.
It is a simple mouthpiece you could buy in bulk and be no problem if you lost one. Sanabul Single Boil And Bite Mouthguard is just another cheap option you have.
Here is what the Sanabul Single Boil And Bite Mouthguard offers.
- Cheaper Than Dental Work: If you don’t want to pay a big bill to your dentist, then you need a mouthguard. It’s better to make the cheap investment rather than paying for dental work.
- Simply Boil And Fit: Easy directions to follow to mold the mouthguard. 15 seconds in hot water, put it in cold water after,, and then bite down to mold. Simple.
- Case: Come with a case to keep it in.
- Cheap: At $3.99, you can’t get much cheaper than this when it comes to getting a BJJ mouthguard
Venum Predator Mouthguard
Venum is known for making quality products and their mouthguard is no different. The Venum Predator Mouthguard is available to protect your teeth.
The design is Venum’s usual snake fangs that you’re used to seeing them make. Also unlike normal rubber mouthguards, this one is made of gel for better comfort.
Here is what the Venum Predator Mouthguard offers.
- NextFit Gel: The Venum Predator Mouthguard is made of NextFit gel frame. This gel frame was added to improve adjustments and for comfort.
- Multi Layer: This mouthguard was made with multiple layers to absorb and disperse impacts.
- Breathable: It was engineered to be breathable and able to talk while wearing it.
- Protective Case: Includes a Venum protective case with your purchase of the mouthpiece.
- 13 Color Options: You have 13 color options to choose from.
Impact Custom Professional Mouthguard
If you want to wear a professional grade BJJ mouthguard look no further than the Impact Custom Professional Mouthguard.
You’re not just getting a boil and bite mouthguard, you’re getting a whole kit to mold your own custom mouth piece.
After you go through the molding process, which only takes 2.5 minutes. You then take your imprint and send it back, and a few weeks later you’ll have a pro-grade BJJ mouthguard for a fraction of the price.
This the closest you’ll get to the quality of a custom guard made at a dentist office.
Here is what the Impact Custom Professional Mouthguard offers.
- Impression Kit: You’re not just buying a mouthguard, you’re buying a professional grade impression kit. It comes with the molding material and plastic frames.
- Superb Quality: The Impact Custom Pro has 6-7mm of thickness to assure heavy impact absorbance. You can also easily breathe and speak while wearing this mouthguard.
- Over 40 Designs: You have over awesome 40 designs and patterns to can choose from.
- Adult/Kid Sizes: There are sizes available for both kids and adults.
- USA Boxing Approved: If you compete in amateur boxing, then you can wear this mouthguard during competition.
- BPA Free: There is no Bisphenol-A in this product. Some cheaper plastic guards may have this and it’s a potential health risk.
- Specifically For Combat Sports: Impact Custom Mouthguards made this mouthguard specifically for combat sports use.
- Almost Dental Grade: Outside of a dentist office this is the best quality material you can get for a mouthguard. It’s almost identical to what you’d pay more for in a dentist office.
Venum Challenger Mouthguard
Venum Challenger Mouthguard is a quality BJJ mouthguard that is high grade, but is very reasonably priced. This mouthguard gives you double layered protection to keep your teeth protected.
It has a slick design and is made of inner soft get for a comfortable feel. If you need to invest in a new mouth piece look into the Venum Challenger Mouthguard
Here is what the Venum Challenger Mouthguard offers.
- Nexfit Gel Frame: provides a much better fit and also greatly improves comfort.
- High Density Rubber Frame: gives you much better shock management. This is great for high impact sports like MMA and BJJ
- Designed For All Contact Sports: You can use this for all types of contact sports and especially BJJ.
- Designed to make breathing easier: Venum’s advanced design provides excellent breathing in this mouth piece.
- Storage Case: The mouthguard comes with a case for storage and better hygiene.
SISU Aero Mouthguard
SISU offers another top of the line slim mouthguard with the SISU Aero. It’s a light medium sized mouthguard that is also around 1.6mm.
Like most of SISU’s mouthguards it is around 50% thinner than most other companies’ sports mouthguards. But while it is slim it still offers complete protection of your teeth.
Here is what the SISU Aero Mouthguard offers.
- Slim Fit: The Aero is around 1.6mm thick and ultra light. It’s 50% smaller than conventional sports mouthguard, but claims to offer more protection
- Breathable: The design fit makes it easy to talk, breath, and drink water without removing it.
- Diffusix Technology: Diffusix technology in the mouthguard is supposed to scientifically distribute the impact of the blow throughout the mouthpiece.
- Wide Bite Pad: The wider bite pads with rounded edges for a better fit and comfort. You can also easily remold it.
- 16 Color Choices: SISU offers this mouthguard in 16 color choices.
- 3 Sizes: The Aero comes in small, medium, and large sizes.
Champs Breathable Mouthguard
Champs MMA has a very reasonably priced mouthguard if you’re in the market for a new one. They made this mouthguard specifically for combat sports.
The Champs Breathable Mouthguard is designed to take the hardest blows, while keeping your teeth safe. Also if you want to buy more than one they have a promotion going for if you buy multiple.
Here is what the Champs Breathable Mouthguard offers.
- Designed For Combat Sports: Champs specifically designed this mouthguard for combat sports. Whether you’re using it for BJJ, MMA, boxing, or Muay Thai it has you covered.
- Armored For Sports: Designed with a rigid outer layer to take the hardest impacts.
- Best Bite: The inner part of the mouthpiece is made of gel that is comfortable and provides extra cushion.
- Breathable Mouthguard: Champ’s breathable mouthguard is designed with 3 air holes in the middle for breathability.
- Kids/Adult Sizes: Sizes available for kids and adults.
- 6 Color Choices
- Carrying Case: There is also a carrying case for protection, convenience, and hygiene.
Shock Doctor Gel Max Power Carbon Convertible Mouthguard
Another one of Shock Doctor’s products is the Gel Max Power Carbon Mouthguard. It runs about $10 more than their normal mouthguards, but they’ve added way more to it.
They made this mouthguard gel and power carbon to give your teeth even more protection. All of Shock Doctor’s products are top notch quality, so it’s a preference of which you’d like. The Gel Max Power Carbon Convertible Mouthguard would be an excellent choice.
Here is what the Shock Doctor Gel Max Power Carbon Convertible Mouthguard offers.
- Dental Warranty: Like all of Shock Doctor’s products this one comes with $10k dental warranty. A nice addition to make you want to buy the mouthguard.
- Comfort & Fit: This Shock Doctor mouthguard has a new gel fit liner included. It is supposed to fit comfortably over your teeth/gums and will get extended use out of it.
- Protection: This mouthguard includes a heavy duty exoskeleton shock frame to provide protection against the hardest hits.
- Breathable: Integrated breathing channels were added to make it easier to breath and maximize performance.
- Suitable For All Sports: Aside from BJJ, you can also use it for other types of sports.
- Flavored Mouthguards: In the selections it says flavored and non flavored. It does not say what the flavors are, but some of the designs sound like flavors. Cherry vanilla and bubblegum for examples.
- Adult/Youth Sizes
- 24 Designs: Over 24 designs to choose from including the flavored options.
Redline Sportswear Custom Molded Mouthguard
The Redline Sportswear Custom Molded Mouthguard is one of the top choices for athletes looking for a mouthguard. 80% of the reviews were positive with only a few unhappy customers.
What Redline Sportswear touts about this mouthguard is that it is one size fits all and made of safe materials. It’s also decently priced with multiple color choices.
Here is what the Redline Sportswear Custom Molded Mouthguard offers.
- One Size Fits All: It is moldable for both kids and adults to wear.
- FDA Approved: This mouthguard is 100% FDA approved free of any BPA, latex, or PVC materials.
- Dual Layered: The inside is made of soft comfortable gel and the outer layer is durable to take hard contact.
- Free Carrying Case: Complimentary carrying case with a clip included to connect to your gym bag.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you aren’t satisfied with your purchase, Redline Sportswear will give you a full refund.
- 7 Color Options
Coollo Sports Boil And Bite Mouthguard
Coolio Sports offers a good and reasonably priced product with the Coolio Sports Boil and Bite Mouthguard. It has the qualities of an expensive mouthguard, but at half the price.
This mouthguard includes non slip pads, as well as circular pads on the bottom to protect your bottom teeth from grinding. At $9.99, the Coolio Sports Mouthguard offers quite a lot in a basic boil and bite mouthguard.
Here is all that the Coolio Sports Boil And Bite Mouthguard offers.
- Two Layer Construction: Soft inner gel for a comfortable feel and a durable outside to take hard impacts.
- Anti Slip Pads: The anti slip pads will ensure that your mouthguard stays on and won’t move protecting your teeth at all times.
- Circular Cushioned Pads: The bottom circular cushioned pads protect your bottom teeth from grinding against the mouthguard.
- FDA Compliant: This mouthguard passed all of the FDA compliance safety tests.
- 100% Satisfaction Guarantee: If you’re not 10% satisfied with the mouthguard Redline Sportswear will give you your money back.
2 Pack NXTRND Rush Mouthguard
NXTRND offers two professional grade mouthguards for the price of one. You’re getting not one, but two mouthguards that are worn by division 1 wrestlers and professional fighters.
The NXTRND Rush Mouthguard offers maximum comfort and breathability to let you reach peak performance. A great choice if you happen to need a mouthguard for BJJ and want a spare to go along with it.
Here is all that the NXTRND Rush Mouthguard offers.
- 2 For 1: You’re getting two professional mouthguards for the price of one at a very good price.
- Professional Mouthguard: Many top combat sports athletes in the world use this mouthguard from Division 1 wrestlers to MMA fighters.
- Protective: These mouthguards have a dual density frame with a hard outer shell.
- Comfortable: The mouthguard has a shock resistant frame that is comfortable to put on and should lightly snap around your teeth.
- Enhanced Airflow: NXTRND’s mouthguard was designed with an airflow channel that helps aid breathing while training and competing.
- Unlimited Defective Warranty: At anytime after you buy the mouthguard and it breaks, NXTRND will give you a refund.
Damage Control Mouthguards
Damage Control Mouthguards’ slogan is “there is a better way to play.” They offer something a little different with their high tech mouthguard.
Their mouthguard is made with a material called Damp Rotech. They say it is 150% more shock absorbent than normal material used in other mouthguard companies.
Here is all that Damage Control Mouthguards offers.
- Damp Rotech Material: Damp Rotech is a damping material that is said to be 150% more shock absorbent than normal material used in mouthguards.
- Comfortable Fit: The mouthguard offers a comfortable fit that won’t interfere with training.
- $10k Limited Dental Warranty: Damage Control Mouthguards offers a limited $10k dental warranty. It doesn’t say what the limit is, but there’s’ probably a certain time frame that you can claim the warranty.
- 3 Different Sizes: Damage Control offers sizes for men, women, and kids.
- Cool Designs: You can get this mouthguard in a cool designs like skull/roses or kittens.
2 Pack NXTRND Zero Mouthguard
For those that train BJJ and want a smaller mouthguard, NXTRND offers one with their Zero mouthguard. The NXTRND Zero Mouthguard is smaller than their normal mouthguard at 1.6mm and also $5 less.
It offers the same protection as their normal mouthguards, but thinner and possibly more comfortable. The Zero, like all of NXTRND’s products, comes in a 2 pack, so you’re again getting two good mouthguards for one price.
Here is all that the NXTRND Zero Mouthguard offers.
- Ultra Thin: The Zero Mouthguard is only 1.6mm thick and will protect your teeth as much as their normal mouthguard.
- Breathable: Along with being very thin it is also breathable designed with 12 small air holes. You’ll be able to breath, talk, and drink water without having to take it out.
- Comfortable: It’s very thin, but don’t worry. This mouthguard won’t ripple during the boiling process and perfectly adapt to the curves of your teeth.
- Designed For All Sports: Besides BJJ, you can also use this mouthguard for MMA or kickboxing.
- Unlimited Defective Warranty: Again like all of NXTRND’s products, there is an unlimited defective warranty if the mouthguard somehow breaks.
For more BJJ gear check out our Equipment Section